Flash Required to view this area.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

2-23-10 Individual Meeting with Tom

Today's meeting with Tom was very successful and much more fulfilling than the last. Instead of going in with insecurities/confusion concerning my work, I went in with a positive, confident attitude. I laid down my project's concept, aesthetic, and desires. I didn't give Tom any choice but to sit and listen.

The successful images produced last semester came from shooting at my grandparent's house in Staunton, Va. I found the lighting and conditions of the house pleasing to my concept, and this semester is no different. I showed Tom my images from the past week and a half (below) and stated that the more successful shots came from the Staunton residence. I realized this house and its contents are vital to my ideas. Shooting 'practice' shots at my apartment and polishing them in Staunton is my current plan of action.

We discussed achieving the same lighting quality at my apt as well. My images use natural light, and the color of natural light changes throughout the year. Natural light in the winter is much colder than warm natural light in the fall. Photoshop could be the answer to this color continuation.

I also brought up Susan Worsham's "Some Fox Trails in Virginia" series (my latest artist post). Her aesthetic is incredibly similar to mine and, her concerns with the death of family history pertaining to location is directly related to the impending loss of my grandparent's house. She says:
"My work has always been a metaphor for my own growing up, and the small deaths of childhood innocence that occur on the road to becoming an adult."

If you have been following my previous blogs or are familiar with my concept, you understand the relevance of the above quote to my work. It more or less is my work, only I approach these deaths as being brought about through anthropomorphism and the domestication of animals.


I do not plan to use this shot in my series. I was following Tom's "don't think, just shoot" method in which you follow through on any photo idea you may have. The shoot didn't go quite as planned. This image looked more grandiose in my mind. I do think it has the potential for a spin off project though...


Do you think it's strange that we put plants into designated containers? How is their domestication different from that of animals?


This is a strong image I do plan on expanding upon in my series. I like the idea, but don't know if the setting/color palette matches the rest of the photos in the series. I am planning on re-shooting this photo in Staunton.



These last two images were taken in Staunton. While both need work, I think the top image is closer to completion.

Can you relate to any of the above images? Which (if any) do you think connect most with the photographs I finished off with last semester? [The photos from last semester are hanging in the hallways in Pollack right now] Do you have any suggestions or comments on how you are personally relating to my work? What do I need to work on to relate more to you all as an audience?

No comments:

Post a Comment