Flash Required to view this area.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

2-14-10: Artist Post, Kiki Smith

Kiki Smith


As instructed, I watched the Art:21 episode "stories" featuring Kiki Smith. We have several common interests and concepts of how to make art. "The more you manipulate it (art), the more actual life you put into it," she says. I too am a very hands-on person and feel that my strongest art is that in which physical manipulation can be seen. She goes on to explain that "90% of the time you physically work on the creation of your art." Artist may be 'inspired' and constantly creating, but creation is not momentary and there are many unseen hours. This isn't a concept that is new to me, particularly after I added a craft minor. I have begun to appreciate the amount of time and physical work I put into my art. My time has become more valuable. This physical ability is also very important to Kiki Smith.

We have other similar interests/beliefs such as domestic life, mythological stories, intuition, and the strength of expressing your work and ideas through different media.

I was somewhat disappointed in the short video. She explained some beliefs and ideas in her work, but I would have liked to hear more about the driving forces behind them. What does she want her viewers to take away from her work? I suppose the whole point of the video is to get people interested and inspire them to look her up.

Smith's upbringing in the Catholic Church is an obvious inspiration. Common themes are life, death, resurrection, mythology, folk tales, domestic objects, and animals.

"Born" 2002

"Friend" 2008

"Walking Pig" 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment