Flash Required to view this area.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

2-10-10 Idea Post

Last night I stopped by Tan A Grocery Store and picked up 2 squid, 2-3 different kinds of whole fresh fish, pork bones, and a frozen duck. Asking the attendant to weight and price everything for me was awkward. I'm pretty sure he thought my random combination was near insane. =) The good news is that all that great material was only around 20 dollars!

I really wish I had a photograph of their amazing seafood/meat spread in the back of the store. It's pretty intense... and so is the smell.


I am planning on executing the meat pile still life this weekend and visit Staunton, Va the following Friday.

During the 'snow storm' this past weekend, I spent several hours inside another Barne's and Noble searching for information. I came across a book filled with 19th century animal wood engraving reproductions. "Animals" (Jim Harter) is filled with over 1,000 species of copyright-free illustrations that I eagerly snatched up and brought home. I scanned over 160 pages of the book and plan to reprint and use as a collage wallpaper or place mat in some of my images. The choice of animals to include in the photographs must be considered carefully, of course. This is why I checked out Hope Werness' "The Continuum Encyclopedia of Animal Symbolism in Art."




I also put in an order for several furs at Moscow Hide and Fur (hideandfur.com). I hope they arrive SOON! I have been feeling stunted on ideas as of late and hope these new materials will spark something.

No comments:

Post a Comment