Flash Required to view this area.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

11-22-09 Artist Post

I have been doing a lot of searching for images on Google this semester that inspire me. I have collected images of fireplace-mounted taxidermy, taxidermy jewelry, hybrid (or rogue) taxidermy, and now I have images of pelts.

I am particularly interested in the way people take images of their pelts and taxidermy, which are essentially their own works of art. Pelts are usually displayed hanging unless there are only one or two hides that can be stretched out for full view. I'm more interested in the hanging pelts. Not only does it serve as a practical storage method, it also makes a statement about animals. Hanging them in a row is clinical and cold. It gives the viewer an exact number of pelts (or perhaps kills). This method of hanging and displaying pelts relates to the glorification of mounted taxidermy.



On the other hand, the method of hanging pelts in groups gives the hides life and a sense of movement. No longer are they displayed separately, but in a pack- just as if in the wild. Individual pelts are indistinguishable as they all blend into one, moving in and out of the pack, confusing predators, strength in numbers.




Something else that came up a lot in my search was pelt or fur coats. Interestingly enough, a lot of them look similar to the group pelt hanging described above.


I'm not sure what to think about wearing fur. I want to say it's BAD because many people do hunt these animals for the sole intentions of creating fur coats. In this sense I most definitely do not agree with it. On the other hand, furs and pelts are so beautiful. They are a preservation of life, an ancient necessity of survival, primal, delicate, unique, and... (I hate to say it) soft and comfortable. I am torn between my desire for the second and my concern for the first.

Ultimately, looking at these images has given me perspective on how placement of objects can change mood and interpretation drastically. I have been doing a lot of thinking about placement in preparation for the 'ultimate shoot' over Thanksgiving. I still haven't seen the pelts I will be using. They are packed away in a box in my parent's basement. My dad used to hunt quite often when we lived in Alaska. It's interesting how many people hear the word "hunter" and automatically think of an animal murderer. How could I ever think that of my own father? The definition of this word is skewed...

*Note to self*

Idea post: look up definition of "hunter"

No comments:

Post a Comment