Flash Required to view this area.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

10-04-09 Artist Post

I know many people have already written about Gregory Crewdson in their past artist research posts, but he was recommended to me by Jeff. So... here goes another one!

Gregory Crewdson came up in my most recent meeting with Jeff because we were discussing lighting. Crewdson is one of the many kings of lighting in the photography world, directing an entire cast to create his epic visionary moments. He conducts an elaborate movie-like set complete with actors, special effects crews, lighting teams, and even a director of photography. Meticulous lighting is always the key ingredient. [[If only we all had the resources, right?]] His images are often tableaux in nature and have been referred to as "micro epics."


I admire his photography as 'almost unreal moments'. I say almost because I suppose they could be replicated. They are the images that exist in dreams and movies: anti- or meta-real moments. Focusing on the fears, mysteries, desires, and anxieties of the American suburbia, he builds off the every day moment to create an unanswered narrative film still. He is heavily influenced by his father (who is a psychoanalyst), cinematic devices used in horror and science fiction films, and contemporary photographers such as Cindy Sherman.

“I’ve always been interested in the uncanny, in looking into ordinary situations and finding something fantastical or mysterious. I’ve always been interested in domesticity; I’ve always been interested in photographic beauty; and I’ve always been interested in a kind of realism.” -Crewdson

No comments:

Post a Comment