Flash Required to view this area.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Work Update 10-14-09

I feel like I haven't shown anybody any work in a long time. It's been two weeks since I had a meeting with either Jeff or Paul and the midterm critique is this Monday! I'm disappointed because I feel like every week my work seems to change. The photos I will be printing out have little to do with each other except for the materials I have been using. I guess you could say they relate to my confusion with art, life, and the future, but it's not necessarily what they are about... I think. I will only get to see a few people at the midterm critique, so any feedback anyone could give me on any image would be helpful.

What do you think they are about? Do they provoke certain thoughts or feelings? Are they just uninteresting?

Also, the last two photos are a dyptich (which is also something I don't normally do).




1 comment:

  1. Sarah, the first two images are amazing. The lighting technique you've used, which I'm assuming was influenced by Paul Weiner's, keeps the images on the same aesthetic level as your previous work with the scanners, and yet gives the materials and objects a space, as you had previously expressed a need to do so after one of your individual meetings. I feel these two are more developed than the dyptich below. Are the first two are supposed to be viewed as a dyptich as well? I think they could successfully go together. Are those little bones in that eggshell? I'm definitely responding more to the first two images. I feel like you have two sides to the way you approach work, because the second two are similar to your fashion photographs of the models wearing the rat tie and mask, while the first two have this eerie yet beautiful aesthetic like your scanner images. From these I get the feeling of hopelessness. I guess because eggs sort of symbolize life and fertility, but they are all cracked and there are even little bones left in one, like death took over before life had a chance or something. I hope this helps a little. I understand your frustration... :/ But good images. Are these the four you'll be showing in crit on monday?

    ReplyDelete