Flash Required to view this area.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

9-6-09 Artist Post


Opposing Marian Drew’s portraits depicting human wastefulness and disconnect from nature is Alessandra Sanguinetti’s “On The Sixth Day”. In her series, Sanguinetti scrutinizes Argentinean farmer’s intimately woven relationships with their surrounding ecosystems- particularly animals. It portrays the honest truth concerning the coexistence between people and animals. The farmer’s livelihood and means of survival depends on raising, maintaining, and sacrificing these animals. She goes beyond documentation to paint an emotional picture of their sometimes brutal means of survival.

The angle from which she shoots her photos reminds me of a child’s point of view as he/she learns the ways and expectations of his/her culture. The sharp focus lends itself to poignant memories of first experiences. Her framework also seems childlike in her purposeful cropping of subjects and their occasional interference with the foreground. She is sure to keep all human identity inconclusive, as the important lesson is not the people but the unfamiliar process of survival.

***

This 25 photograph series absolutely blows my mind and I strongly encourage you to investigate it in its entirety at www.alessandrasanguinetti.com.

The language she uses in her photos is complex and open for interpretation. This is something I wish I had, and I can honestly admit I struggle with the development of my ideas in imagery.




No comments:

Post a Comment