Flash Required to view this area.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

9-2-09 Idea Post

While reading Dr. Bill Bass’s “Death’s Acre” I came across a quote that struck such a strong chord with me that I underlined it in bold black ink. This is something that happens so rarely, but it was a beyond perfect description of how I have approached my art the past few semesters.

“The more I thought about it, the more exciting it became: my pretty would be death itself… I would need to track death deep into its own territory, observe its feeding habits, chart its movements and timetables.” (page 89)

I approach my artwork in an incredibly scientific matter: observing, collecting, re-observing, dissecting, recording, preserving, collecting more, explaining, assembling, etc. My collection of animal remains is a constant evolution and I think it is my attempt to bridge the gap between myself and the biotic community (nature and the rest of ‘creation’). This interaction, which was once so normal and frequent, is one that is now repressed by technology and industrialization.

I had originally thought I would be moving away from this idea at the beginning of the semester. I was and still am at a dead end and unsure of where to pick up next, especially after last semester being so heavily technique-based (studio/location lighting and alternative processes). The fall before was SO conceptually rich and I felt more comfortable with abstract thinking. I know I will bring the two together this last year in school. I am very excited about it, but have no clue where to start.

I shot an exploratory test shoot this past Sunday night for no reason in particular. If it does relate to my current ideas and feelings, it’s something I haven’t quite worked out yet. Sometimes you have to just listen to your urge for a photo shoot whether or not you know why or what you will end up with. It’s another step on the staircase leading to a new idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment