Flash Required to view this area.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

3-4-10 Midterm Critique

Today's round of critiques was probably one of the best class critiques I had ever participated in. The energy in the room was high and everyone was presenting some really great work. I left feeling motivated and proud of where my project stands at this point.

After reviewing the video tape of my personal critique, I was somewhat shocked at my frequent use of the word "like." It wasn't overkill, but it was enough to be distracting when I was listening for it. My posture was not so hot (it really never is) and my voice sounds nothing like it does in my own head. It's always strange seeing myself on camera and this was particularly awkward. I remember concentrating on looking calm and not fidgety, but I have a long way to go before I am public speaking material.

Jake had a great comment at the very beginning of crit (that I was too nervous to remember at the time) about my work being more humorous this semester in terms of my exploitation of anthropomorphism. I agree that these images have an increased juxtaposition relationship that strengthens them.

The class responded positively to my artist statement both in it's composure and its accurate reflection of the photos. We were in agreement on several touch-ups to one or two photos which I pointed out as being unfinished. This was the first critique in which the class was really able to clearly understand my images and I was able to concisely articulate my ideas. I am very proud of myself for this development and I'm psyched for the final crit in Paul's class.

Below is my artist statement and the images shown at critique today. I also showed images from last semester, but you can find those on a previous blog. They were also hanging in the Pollack hallway a week ago.

Still in Life

Still In Life has been inside me as long as I can remember- developing throughout my child and adulthood in a distant part of my mind. The setting and materials create scenes of stillness that are both realizations and comparisons of past and future. I use animals as self-representations to project myself into domestic landscapes in which I am forced to coexist with humanness and impermanence. This is a direct reflection of Western culture’s dependency on anthropomorphism as a source of maturation that has played and continues to play a vital role in my own development.

Influential Artists:

- Doug Aitken, Migration
- Alessandra Sanguinetti, On The Sixth Day
- Marian Drew, Still Lives
- Susan Worsham Some Fox Trails in Virginia

"My work has always been a metaphor for my own growing up, and the small deaths of childhood innocence that occur on the road to becoming an adult." -Susan Worsham

susanworshamphotography.com




1 comment:

  1. I love love love LOVE where your work is and where it's going. Wish I coulda been there for the crit!

    ReplyDelete